11.13.2008

9w

We have arms and legs!

Tuesday's appointment was so much fun - we got to see Ferris again, including the brain, arms, legs, and a very healthy heartbeat. It's too early to be able to hear the heartbeat, but I go back in three weeks so we should be able to hear it then. I realize how truly lucky we are to have had the chance to see Ferris this soon - typically wouldn't be able to for many more weeks - and although the circumstances behind it weren't ideal, it all turned out ok.

It's becoming real to me - the notion that this is actually happening. At first, it seemed like we were playing pretend - and I was filled with anticipation that at any given moment, someone would tell me it was just a dream. I discussed that with my friend Jessi, while staring at her beautiful 5-month old, and she said that even now - with a baby at home - she still feels inclined to think her pregnancy wasn't real.

I lay awake at night, thinking about what life will be like over the next 7 months - and beyond. I visualize the sitting room next to our bedroom, which will become the nursery - and I try to decide what on earth we'll do with the enormous chair that we have in there currently. I worry about how the dogs will react to Ferris.

On Tuesday after I left the doctor's office, I met my mom and sister for lunch, and then mom and I went and had pedicures. That night, as my husband played with my toes, he began singing "This little piggy" - which led us to make up what we believed to be hysterical songs about Ferris' newest developments: This little piggy went to market, this little piggy went home...this little piggy had roast beef - and this little piggy had ARMS! This little piggy liked tequila, this little piggy tapped kegs...this little piggy drank vodka, and this little piggy has LEGS! This little piggy is crazy, this little piggy's insane...this little piggy's a cuckoo, and this little piggy has a BRAIN!

Anyone else frightened that we are going to be parents?


No comments: