2.02.2009

20w4d

At this point, Ferris is anywhere from 6-7 inches long, and weighs approximately 10 ounces or so. We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning, and I'm so ready to see that little squirt on the screen. I've somehow convinced myself that we're accidentally going to find out the sex, although my doctor (and my friends who've been there, done that) have assured me I'll have no clue what I'm looking at.

We got bags of blankets and clothes from my sister this weekend, and as I sorted through stacks of navy blue onesies with baseballs on them, socks with "All-Star" written on the cuff, and a hat that says "Daddy's Little Guy", all I could do was smile and fold them back up. I also accompanied a friend to Babies R Us, and quickly became overwhelmed at the variety of items and my lack of knowledge about what's an absolute necessity and what's not. My sister is taking me to register in the next few weeks, and I'm grateful for her guidance and expertise.

As my husband and I walked to one of our favorite brunch places yesterday morning, enjoying the brief respite from the cold weather, I commented that 5 months from now, our walks will include a stroller and a third person. It's little things like that which strike me and make me realize what we're embarking on.

Ferris has begun moving with increased regularity, and we've even become able to feel the shifts from the outside. Every time I feel movement, my husband places his hand on my stomach hoping to get the sensation. I think we have a jokester in the making, as the baby typically chooses that exact moment to be still.

We are still working on names - we're getting closer, but I'm having a hard time landing on something that sounds just right. Certain names, while seemingly perfect at first, tend to fall from the list after we realize that they would likely get our kid's ass kicked on the playground. Plus, there's the whole issue of not knowing what he or she will look like, as that could change everything. How do you name someone you haven't met yet?

No comments: